Monday, November 10, 2008

RIP Jaws

You may remembrer reading Introducing Jaws a little over a year ago. Jaws is no longer with us. He lived much longer then any Beta I had before!

Jason and I struggled with what to do after I found him on Sunday morning. I felt bad because I had changed his water Saturday night, I hope I didn't do anything wrong.

We originally planned to replace him during nap time and not tell Trinity. We changed our mind and decided to tell her after nap time. Jason had already gotten rid of the evidence (I could not think of a better way to word this!). Trinity ended up not napping. I went up to her room and we just laid on her bed and chatted and I waited for the right moment. Here is how the conversation went:

Me: Trinity, mommy and daddy had to let Jaws go because he died.
T: How did he die?
Me: Jaws was really old. You can get a new one if you want, maybe now or after Christmas.
T: Why did he die?
Me: Jaws lived a really long time and was really old. He was with us over a year, that is a long time for a fish.
T: ~ Changed Subject~

I thought that was it. She changed the subject and the issue was done. Until, it was time to feed Jaws.

T: We need to feed Jaws.
J and Me: ~we look at each other with puzzled look as if to say "now what do we say"~ We remind her about my conversation with her. Jason again tells her she can get a new one.
T: takes the food out of the pantry and points out we still have his food.

After Trinity ate her dinner she saw the empty bowl on the counter. First said "why isn't Jaws in there?" Then she walked around the corner and just looks at Jason and says "he died". We then talked again about maybe getting another fish and what to name it.

What a tough day. I am glad we decided to tell her and allowed her to think it through and talk it out. She never really got upset or cried. That surprised me somewhat.

Stay tuned for our next fish!

2 comments:

Stacie Martin said...

Poor Jaws! He had a good life...

I'm glad you decided to tell Trinity...I think it's an important part of learning about life. :)

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

I was amazed how quickly our little girl forgot about her grandparents dog that died. She loved him so much and played with him almost daily, but she recovered fast. Hopefully it will be the same way for Trinity. Of course a new fish would probably help too.