Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Scary moments for a mom

While we were in Oregon this past weekend we had a kinda scary and stressful experience.  Trinity started coughing a little bit Saturday afternoon, and sounded a bit hoarse before bed.  I commented to my friend that I hoped she wasn't coming down with a cold.  Fast forward to 10:30 pm and we hear her kinda crying up in the hall.  I get up there and she is struggling with her breathing.  I took her downstairs and my friend Stacie, bless her heart, set up the humidifier while I called Trinity's pediatricians office.  A nurse from the Children's Hospital in Seattle called me back quickly and asked me a few questions.  She then listened to Trinity over the phone and proceeded to instruct me to sit in a steamy bathroom and call 9-1-1.  I ran upstairs with Trinity while Stacie followed me calling 9-1-1.  Shortly (and I mean literally, shortly) the Tualitin Valley Fire and Rescue guys showed up.  They were amazing! Showed up quickly, and one gentleman got down on our level and introduced himself to me and Trinity.  Trinity later remember his name, he made quite an impression during all that was going on.  We ended up being transported to the local hospital.  On the way Trinity was given a breathing treatment and her oxygen leves were back to 100 by the time we reached the hospital.  At the hospital it was determined she had croup and was given a steriod.  Jason and Stacie's husband were on their way back from Eugene where they were at the U of O game.  Jason got there just about the same time we arrived.  Once we got back to Stacie's it was late and we were up with Trinity a couple more times. 

I 100% trusted and respected every medical personnel we came in contact with.  I know the nurse at Children's would not have sent us in that direction if there was not concern.  When my child is not breathing well, I could not possibly risk driving her myself somewhere.  I applaud and thank the medical professionals out there and deal daily with scared kids and their mommy's.  My child was acknowledged just as much as I was, and she remembered that later. 

No comments: